Jobs Links & Tips
More Info on Twitter Hashtags - If you use Twitter - use #gameshires - linking to your portfolio, what you're looking for etc
Handy Maps of Companies
Using Social Media
This is a Social Network for Professionals. It can be a little daunting to start with - but you have every right to be there as students looking for connections & positions.
There are Groups & Connections and you'll see jobs posted and discussions on aspects of the industry.
Increasingly we're coming up with people who say 'I don't have a business card - just find me on LinkedIn"
Also - if you want to go freelance - set yourself up as a company!
Linked In ToDo List
- Connect with placements on Linked In
- Join relevant Groups - These will help you connect with people
- Join our Group - Staffs Uni Games Alumni
- Join the offical Staffs Uni Alumni Group
- Follow Companies you have an interest in
Keep your profile up to date, keep it professional and be smart in the info you put up - it's how people will see you, it isn't Facebook...
You might already be on Twitter - probably microblogging about your drunken escapades and about how much you love @StephenFry - that's fine, but don't discount using Twitter to form connections and chat to industry.
Twitter ToDo List
- Follow Us (@StaffsGamesTech) & The Uni (@staffsuni)
- Have a look at the lists we've put up on Twitter - Jobs | Companies | People - Follow the people / companies that interest you
- 'Join the conversation' - repost interesting things, reply to people, be intelligent, well spoken and don't use text speak.
- Also check this list: http://gameindustrytweet.com/2009/01/14/game-industry-tweet/
- Link any blogs etc you may have e.g. your portfolio,so if you update it, it will update twitter too
- You can also update your LinkedIn status by ending tweets with #in
Tips on Business Cards & Networking
Remember your business card may outlive things like student e-mail addresses etc